Tuesday, August 18, 2009

No more Novak

R.I.P.
(Republican Identifying Plame)

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I was on another progressive blog earlier and was surprised to find that some people were struggling to find nice things to say about Robert Novak in the wake of his death.

As I commented there, I've always found it rather ironic that while disdaining someone in life we often feel compelled to say nice things about them when they die. This has always struck me as hypocritical. It would seem to me that the time to be charitable is when someone is around to appreciate it.

I had nothing nice to say about Robert Novak when he was alive. I have nothing nice to say about him now. After what he did to Valerie Plame, the closest I can come to a charitable observation is that I think it's really sad that he sold his soul to Karl Rove before he could give it to God.


4 comments:

laughingwolf said...

you know it, morg...

Morgan said...

;-)

My Wuff....

JohnR said...

I think it has to do with manners. When someone is dead, they cannot fight back.

When Jimmy Carter dies, Republicans and others who disdained him in life, will say nice things about him.

When Reagan died in 2004, Democrats said nice things about him too.

People who cannot say anything nice about Novak will keep their mouths shut for a while but after he is buried, they will loosen up.

I also don't think people care all that much about Plame any more. Once the story leaves the front pages, no one really seems to care.

Notice how the former anti-war folks don't say much about Obama escalating the war in Afghanistan and now, the pro-war folks are starting to blame Obama about how the war is going.

Morgan said...

So let me get this straight. It's good manners to bash someone when they're around to hear you. But when they can't hear you because they're, you know, dead then it's bad manners to do it. To exercise good manners is to lie and make a hypocritical ass of yourself for the sake of someone who can't hear you.

Thanks, JohnR, but I'll pass on your Etiquette Class. Geesh.

Obama's the president. He's running a war. He's going to get criicized. It's the right of the people to debate and criticize without getting shouted down. Even the Republicans know that. No, wait. No they don't.