Monday, November 17, 2008

Posting lull..

Sorry for the prolonged absence from the blogosphere, guys. And thanks to all of you who've sent emails checking in to see if I was all right.

I am doing fine, thank you. But given that during election season I was posting once - or sometimes twice - a day I decided a break was in order. It's been a working break mostly. Just because I'm not writing here doesn't mean I'm not writing. But I've also been taking some time to catch up on reading and am enjoying Spook by Mary Roach and reading Inskspell aloud to Larry and the kids. (If you don't read aloud or get read to, I highly recommend both. And I'm not talking about audiobooks. Go to a reading if you must. And thank me later.)

We had a lot of rain, so I spent much of the end of last week and this weekend slogging around in the much to care for the horses, sheep and goats. Tonight some bitter cold comes in. So today we're putting up a front wall on the sheep shed, dragging the pony blankets out for the mare and foal, putting heated water buckets in the stalls, and throwing in extra bedding so
 everyone can be comfy. 

Animals are occupying a large portion of my time as winter approaches. We've bred one dariy goat and will soon be taking one more to Hampstead to breed soon. We added a ram to our pair of ewes and while he's a smaller breed he's making an attempt to get it on with the taller ladies. My non-fiction reading these days runs to primers on lambing and kidding. This weekend I moved a cabinet into the kitchen just for the veterinary supplies I've accumulated and was surprised at how quickly I filled it with my store of antibiotics, vaccines, wormers, bloat and hoof rot remedies, syringes, tubing, IV fluids and bandages. When you keep livestock you quickly learn to do a lot of your own work yourself and save the veterinarian for emergencies. Trust me, there will still be plenty of those.

So that's what I've been up to when I'm not blogging.

I've had a few posts kicking around in my head for when I finally get time to blog. One regards the rather amusing meltdown of conservatives post-Obama victory. Another analyzes why I now realize why the Bible refers to followers of Christ as sheep and sinners as goats. A third is a rather personal perspective on Time and the importance of valuing it, especially as we get older.

Just bear with me until I get back to you. I promise it won't be too much longer.

16 comments:

Christopher said...

Take your time. I got a kick out of this:

My non-fiction reading these days runs to primers on lambing and kidding.

So if anyone asks what you've been doing lately you can say, "Just kidding!"

Morgan said...

If I am kidding I hope I'll be able to find it amusing. This weekend I went on YouTube to watch videos of folks delivering lambs and sheep. I've delivered kids in the past when we had pygmy goats and had the dubious honor of sticking my hand into a goat's nether regions to reposition a kid that wouldn't come out.

The dairy goats - and sheep - are much bigger - and with our plan to breed three does and two ewes I might end up with a situation like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5itsbzJF3s

If I do, then I'll fully understand getting a comment that says, "Ewe are crazy."

thimscool said...

You're fired.

Morgan said...

Damn.
Well, at least I have my back-up professions as shepherd and goatherd to fall back on.

Christopher said...

Ewe goat, girl!

Morgan said...

Christopher, you have no idea how amused I am by your comment. If there were a giggle-o-meter I'd have tripped it.

Christopher said...

Well, stop me if you've herd this one: I was trying to have a conversation with one of your goats, but the others kept butting in.

Morgan said...

I'd be like Squidward chuckling, "Heh, heh. Band humor," except it's more like "Ha, ha. Barn humor."

Oh, and Chris, I saw the Spongebob episode "Rock Bottom" this weekend and thought of you and Andrea. ;-)

Christopher said...

Darn it! And I phphphpt! missed phphphpt! it.

And next time you can't post for a while, don't call it a "lull". Just say you've gone "on the lamb".

Morgan said...

Yes! And I can apologize for not having enough time to spin yarns for my readers.

Christopher said...

You've really pulled the wool over our eyes.

Morgan said...

I admit it. I fleeced you all.

And I can keep this up all day. I've got herds of material.

Morgan said...

phphphpht!

Christopher said...

That's shear genius!

Morgan said...

Ain't mutton like a good sheep pun.

Christopher said...

Now that one was just baaaad.