Monday, November 03, 2008

Horsing Around, Part V



On Sunday we went riding, and Alex's usually unmotivated pony, Oliver, found enough motivation to kick up his heels trying to catch up with Lumos. It wasn't a big buck, but it was enough to unseat Alex. She hit the ground at a roll and by the time I had stopped Lumos and turned around she was back up on her feet. Larry, who was filming, was more frightened than any of us.

This first fall off of Oliver wasn't her worst. She's taken far more harrowing falls from her Shetland pony, Lyric. And oddly, Alex is as proud of her falls as she is her riding skills and was thrilled that her dad had taped this one. That's why it's on YouTube; she couldn't wait to show her friends. 

And of course, she got right back on because that's what you have to do. Afterwards she jumped a couple more fences and rounds of cantering before we called it a day. As you can see from the photo, Lumos thought he deserved a treat after the ride and turned my pocket inside out looking for one.

8 comments:

Christopher said...

It looks like y'all were having a good time out there, but you seem to have forgotten something. Again. Something that would protect you if you were to happen to fall of Lumos. And you wouldn't want to go free fallin' without a helmet, now would you?

Morgan said...

You are so right, and after she fell Alex made me promise to wear my helmet again. So both your scoldings are duly noted. The next video will have me wearing my trusty helmet. :-)

JohnR said...

It's less than 24 hours to the most important election of our lifetime (again) and you're writing about prancing ponies.?!?!?!?

What is wrong with you, woman?

And just to let you know I haven't changed, Christopher Reeves was wearing a helmet too.

Morgan said...

Hey, baby, we have early voting here and I voted last week. At this point there's nothing to do but sit here and watch the last frantic dash to the finish line.

I am going to do some calling on behalf of the Obama campaign tonight. I just got a call from the GOP volunteer and am hoping the people I call will be nicer to me than I was to her. I gave her an earful about what I thought about the latest Dole ad.

Yes, you're right that Reeve was wearing a helmet. But people get killed in cars with seatbelts on, too. There's risk in everything, no matter how many precautions you take. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take the risks, or exercise the precautions. Some people do end up dead or paralyzed, but more don't than do.

laughingwolf said...

morg, ye got too many folk relying on ye, be safe on them critters, and elsewhere...

btw - won't be around much, doing nanowrimo, so december will see me back :D

Morgan said...

Thanks, Wuff.
We'll miss you in your absence. We'll miss you very much. Counting the days until Dec.
You stay safe, too.

Andrea said...

That was kind of a weird-looking fall, like it came out of nowhere. Glad she's okay. She looks like a tough cookie.

Tell her I said she rocks :)

Morgan said...

I'll tell her, Andrea. Thanks.
Falls like that happen so fast that they do kind of seem to come from nowhere. I was telling her instructor about it this morning and she asked, "Were the horses cantering together?" When I said 'yes,' she was like, "Well, they'll do that sometimes. They'll get frisky when they canter together."
And that makes sense, too, because in the pasture they do that when they're running. One will just do a little happy buck which is what Oliver did.