Sunday, October 08, 2006

What I saw at the zoo...

I read a comment on another blog today about how what happens on the Internet can hurt real people. The writer - a talented lady obsessed with what she considers her own betrayal - was correct. What one does on the Internet can often hurt real people - even little ones you've never even met. And of all the vile things one can do, I'd respectfully submit that causing turmoil in a home where children are involved is the vilest of them all.

You know, I've been picking apart personas for some time now, and discovering underneath people - both married and single - whose inability to function makes it easier to shut themselves away and communicate with strangers than it is to find satisfaction within their own families or communities.

I went to the zoo recently and found the polar bear habitat particularly depressing. The enclosure was nice, with lots of rocks and cool water but despite their well-constructed surrounding those bears were very unhappy.

Observing the characters I've commented on lately is like watching animals pace in the zoo. The self-imposed captivity of the Internet recluse is not unlike the artificial state of a zoo. Sure the captivity provides a level of comfort. You can be viewed briefly as a Perfect Specimen without being seen as you really are. You can present your good side to the crowd so the scar you got in the circus doesn't show. You can even arrange an artificial mating construct, which is so much easier than the rejection you've so often found in thew wild. But ultimately, when the Internet recluse takes an honest look at the reality they've created, they know it's not REAL.

To that end, I've done a bit of house-cleaning and shall move on. I'm fortunate to have a family to love, work for and appreciate. The world is full of people who have and will continue to do things I wouldn't do. I sure can't expect them to change because I think they should.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The internet is full of lonely people con-men and married-but-looking types. If you're just figuring this out then you're not as smart as you seem, Morgan. I like the comparison to the zoo especially the part about hiding the scars. Nothing you can say is going to change people who want to take advantage of other people or chase somebody else's man. I've read here a lot and you've got a lot more going for you than they do. Those kids are beautiful and you have other interests and a lot of talen. Do us all a favor and stop wading among the slime. Personally I'd rather read about your spiders.

Anonymous said...

talen=talent.

Sorry.

Roland said...

So, does this mean you are not going to blog anymore?

I agree that there is a difference between what is real and what is REAL.
I like to blog, but put a limit on it, just like drinking. I could drink until I passed out, but that isn't healthy. I could blog to the exclusion of all other things, but that also isn't good.

Your insights are a welcome reminder of the good qualities in people. (Even if you do like spiders.) ;)

I don't bother with the (ahem) 'polar bears' too much. They seem to be a waste of time. And they gain more noteriety from insulting those who are honest in their candor. People like Band-ade are the ones I ignore.

Morgan said...

Oh no, I'm going to continue to blog. I'm just not going to link to or bother with people whose personas are merely a mask for hypocrisy. I'd rather have one Roland than ten people who use the Internet to exploit their kids, make plays for married men or engage in cyber-cheating.

Blogs are public. If you advance yourself as the perfect Christian family man/husband or Spiritually Evolved healer and your actions speak otherwise, don't be surprised if folks don't start publicly questioning why your persona doesn't jive with what you're saying and doing.

I admit to being acerbic, aggressive, obnoxious and impatient. I don't pretend to be a pretty anything other than what people see and never have. If I did, I couldn't be surprised if someone called me out on it, and ultimately I'd have no one to blame but myself.

In short, I'm joining you in turning away from the polar bears. It's simply no fun to watch them when you realize they aren't majestic creatures, but ones who've ended up where they are because they could never survive in the wild.

JohnR said...

So this is why Vox de-linked you and you de-linked him?

Caught that right away.

JohnR

Morgan said...

I didn't know he delinked me. I haven't been back over there since my last comment. I'm not the least bit upset, or the least bit surprised for that matter given that I ruined a private party. Like I said, I'd prefer not to have any association with personas when there are plenty of real people out there who contribute to and operate blogs as themselves.

CJ said...

Morgan I sent you something in email. Let me know what you think.

Morgan said...

CJ, those are very, very cool. Even here in the country I've never been able to get that close to a deer. Beautiful. And the backdrop was nice, too. You should put those in a contest.

Suspect said...

The internet is a pastime. Something you do to relax from studies/work/whatever it is you do.

Making it into anything else is BAD. Don't go there...

And I agree with anon. More spiders!

Morgan said...

Then more spiders you shall have, my lad!

Anonymous said...

Spider webs are much better than webs of deceit woven by lonely single women. Glad to see you are leaving off the pathetic man-hunters and stick to the bug hunters. I knew you could do it if you tried.