Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Bright and Rainy Day



Today was the day of the big homeschooling group picnic - an annual affair held to kick off the new academic year.

As luck would have it, the weather was lousy. All the way down to the park Alex lamented the gray skies. But the rain came in soft showers that didn't deter the kids from having a great time. By the time we left three hours later they were wet, exhausted and happy.

We are really lucky to have a very large homeschooling group, and if you are homeschooling or considering it, do yourself and your kids a favor and find one in your area. Regardless of what some paranoid, over-protective (or lazy) homeschoolers will tell you, kids do benefit from peer relationships and homeschooling parents have a duty to make sure their kids get the interaction they crave. Our group meets twice a week and offers more activities than we could possibly ever fit into our schedule.

Alex and Lucas started off playing with kids their own age, but as the afternoon wore on they joined older and younger kids under the picnic shelter for an improv workshop and later everyone went back - even though it was still raining - to splash in the puddles.

It was a good afternoon, and on the way home we spotted a water lily in bloom and I stopped to take a picture of it. It's pretty, isn't it? - and more evidence that rain can't damper perfect moments if you don't let it.

8 comments:

Erik said...

That is an awesome pic! I've been trying to get something similar but havent yet been able to get a good bloom (this IS Colorado after all)

My best "wet" pic was a bat that had fallen from its perch and into a river. I jumped out to the rock it climbed onto and took several pics. But I lost those in a hard drive crash. Backup Backup Backup

Morgan said...

Thanks, erik!
Man, I hate it that you lost that picture. I'd love to have seen it. I had a crash earlier this year and lost so many of my good photos. Most of them I still have on floppies because I shot them with my ancient (by technological standards) 1.6 MP Sony Mavica, but to retrieve them would mean sifting through hundreds of discs and I don't have the patience.
So today I bought an instructional DVD to go with my camera. I want to get more out of it, and move beyond the auto settings to fiddle more with depth of field and effects, but I don't have the patience to read the manual. I'm a visual learner and pick up on things faster if I can see someone do them.
The water lily really is awesome. It was in a pond outside a garden shop that Larry does a lot of business with. He's going to go back and get one this weekend, so hopefully I'll have even more pics. I just really liked that one because of the raindrops on it.

thimscool said...

Morg, you're like a damn savant. You and yer blog, here.

Roland said...

My wife went to a home schooler get together up here in Minnesota.
The weather was a bit blustery, but mostly dry.
She enjoys teaching our kids so much.

I think my kids get more social interaction outside of school than they would inside of it.
We just have to teach them about piranhas.
Thinking about it, my wife already has. She loves to read them a book called "10 Sly Piranhas".
Crazy books with morals.
What will they think of next?

Roland said...

I went back and read the comments about the "Typical Ann Coulter Fan?"
Now, I understand why I never really looked at his blog.
What an interesting read and thoughts.

Morgan said...

"I went back and read the comments about the "Typical Ann Coulter Fan?"
Now, I understand why I never really looked at his blog."

I've had some pretty enlightening correspondence with real veterans who don't appreciate slip-and-fall veterans soaking the public (and their families) while wrapping themselves in the flag. But Bane appeals to the dregs of VP and as long as he has them he'll have someone to exploit besides the wife and kid. I'd just have never thought self-professed libertarians could be so easily duped.

Morgan said...

I think my kids get more social interaction outside of school than they would inside of it.
We just have to teach them about piranhas.
Thinking about it, my wife already has. She loves to read them a book called "10 Sly Piranhas".

I haven't heard of that book. I'll have to look it up.
We enjoy teaching the kids, too. It's been a rewarding experience all the way around. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but it's for us.

Suspect said...

How do you break up the responsibility? As in you teach science and he teaches histiry, is it fixed like that, or some other system? And do you subject your (own) kids to (gasp) homework? And how do you decide on a syllabus?

Homeschooling is something I haven't seen around here. I'm curious to find out how it's worked out.