Friday, June 16, 2006

Model Mom



Well, I'm not really a model mom. But Alex is learning photography and today asked me if I'd sit for her. So I did and she took this picture of me with Piper the Cat. I think she did an excellent job. Even now I sometimes get things off center and out of focus.

Alex is serious about learning photography. Yesterday she went to the library and came home with a book on the subject. She has a 35mm camera her grandmother gave her but asked me today if I'd give her my digital when I get a new one. She likes being able to see the photographs right away. We told her she could use it with supervision. She is, after all, only eight.

But she's an eight-year-old with an interest, and as interests go photography is a good one that can last a lifetime.

Besides, it's wonderful, being able to freeze those special moments forever in a shot. Like this one - me and my lovely little Alex, the budding photographer.

10 comments:

nicolaepadigone said...

your daughter is lovely, Morgan. and a great photographer. :)

yeah, it looks like you do very well as a mother. :)

dlkjdfsa said...

I strongly recommend anyone starting out in photography only using an SLR, even if she is only eight. Gandma knows best!

Morgan said...

your daughter is lovely, Morgan. and a great photographer. :)

I will tell her you said so. It will make her day.

"I strongly recommend anyone starting out in photography only using an SLR, even if she is only eight. Gandma knows best!"

Thanks Robert. She wants to go to the lake and shoot wildlife this weekend.

Lord Omar said...

And for us Technopeasants an SLR would be?
Nice pic Morgan, dare I say sexy?

Morgan said...

"And for us Technopeasants an SLR would be?"

It's the recommended beginner's camera:

http://www.geometer.org/beginner/beginner.html

"Nice pic Morgan, dare I say sexy?"

Only if you don't mind making me weep with gratitude. We 40-year-old women get so emotional when we're complimented. ;-)

mitzibel said...

Hot damn, Morgan, if your daughter ever gets tired of being on one side of the camera, she can certainly make a living (or at least a darn good hobby) out of being on the other end. Pretty, pretty girl. You should probably give her random beatings to make up for all the slack the rest of the universe is going to cut her ;)

Morgan said...

Mitzibel, Alex is a little beauty and a very nice person.

Alex has always been quite down to earth and is already interested in social justice. I believe she's going to grow into a very interesting adult.

One of my friends suggested recently that I put her in pageants. Ugh! Perish the thought. I'm so opposed to those Little Miss things. They're so superficial.

nicolaepadigone said...

"One of my friends suggested recently that I put her in pageants. Ugh! Perish the thought. I'm so opposed to those Little Miss things. They're so superficial."

good for you! get your daughter into much more productive things! take a look at some things your daughter could do. Plus, she will be far more attractive to the right men than those who would frequent Little Miss things.

Mia said...

Good little photographer....must be genetic :)

Morgan said...

Thanks, Mia.
I call her "Minnie-Me," in my best Dr. Evil voice. ;-)