Saturday, May 06, 2006

Therapy


Forget counselors and prescriptions for anxiety reducing medication if you're looking for a way to unwind. If you want to reduce stress go buy a canoe.

We considered ours for about a day and a half before buying it. It seemed like such a splurge but after just one glorious, four hour trip we've decided it wasn't a luxury after all.

This is good for us. It's so good, this is essential.

Our outing was made better by the company of good friends visiting from New Jersey - Janice, Bob and their daughter Beth. Their trip down has been in the works for months, and eagerly awaited by all of us.

Alex and Beth are like peas in a pod so they insisted on riding together in the canoe we rented for Bob and Janice.

That left me and Larry and Lucas to enjoy the maiden voyage of our new canoe.

John didn't go on this trip because John loves water but hates boats. We're hoping to work on that this summer with small trips to help overcome his skittishness.

The weather was perfect. A breeze was blowing. The light danced across the surface of the winding creek. The mosquitos took the day off.

A brown water snake allowed us to get close enough so I could photograph her. She was one of three snakes we saw.

On the way back Larry spied this bullfrog in the hollow of a cypress knee.

At the end of the trip we hauled the canoes out of the water and had dinner at the creekside fishcamp where I used to work years ago. As we ate, we relived the trip. "Did you see that fish jump out of the water? Can you believe how huge those cypress trees get? Don't you think it was nice the way the other boaters slowed down so their wakes wouldn't rock our canoe? Wasn't that fun?"


I came home feeling a little tired by relaxed and happy. The relaxed feeling lingers. When I close my eyes, I can see the mirror-smooth surface of the water reflecting the trees, smell the wisteria and hear the songs of the birds.

And I feel....wonderful.


26 comments:

Roland said...

My wife and I are a bit leery of canoes. Not that there is anything wrong with them.
It's just that the last time we were in one together we had quite a... ah... domestic. Yeah, we'll call it a domestic dispute.

I should know better than to think I can be in charge. ;)

Taylor said...

That really does look relaxing, Morgan. You have a paradise around those parts. I do so love the water and boating. Now that I think about it, the last time I enjoyed such was in your corner of the world. Visiting friends in Stewart, FL. Had a blast water skiing in the Atlantic.

Morgan said...

Roland, it's not so bad as long as you agree who's going to steer the boat. In our case that's Larry.

I don't know what happened on your trip but I have a feeling there's an amusing story in there somewhere. ;-)

Morgan said...

Thanks, Taylor. It is nice out here. It gets wretchedly humid in the summer but it's always pleasant on the water. I'm ready to do it again!

Janet said...

The top picture is very well composed. What kind of camera are you using?

Shrubbery said...

Reminds of of inner tubing when I was in high school. Smooth water, a cooler full of beer, and good friends in tow. Good memories, thanks Auntie Morg.

Morgan said...

Thanks, Janet. It's a humble Sony Mavica digital. It's about four years old but I'm dreaming of an upgrade. :-)

Morgan said...

Your welcome, Shrubadelic. ;-)

Janet said...

Yes you ned an SLR.... the quality of enlargements will be greatly improved which is critical if you want to sell ;)

Morgan said...

Thanks, Janet! I'm hoping to start comparison shopping on cameras this week. The shots from my Mavica enlarge nicely if I shoot on high resolution, but the files are so BIG that I usually just go with the default setting.

Oh, and thanks for letting me link to your blog. I added you over the weekend. ;-)

Janet said...

I take my pictures at the best quality available on my camera and it takes up a lot of room. That's why I bought a 1GB card-- simply massive. *8)

I have found this to be a useful place to ask questions: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/index.php

...but I haven't gotten to work on my photography much recently because I have had to put my energy into my boring business classes :P

thimscool said...

It's a very compelling argument indeed...

Maybe I should take the fam out on University Lake this week.

I agree with Janet that you should get an SLR; your photos are awesome.

steve said...

Can I just ask where it is that you live? And is there a house for sale anywhere on your block?

I want to see trees and rivers instead of bricks and mortar...

Morgan said...

Steve,

I'm in N.C. and there are many, many wonderful places to camp, hike or put in a canoe. We have beaches, mountains and wonderful barbeque, too!

We live in a rural area, so there aren't a whole lot of houses for sale, but lots of open land. Our Jersey friends who visited here for the weekend really loved it.

I want to take the canoe down to the salt marshes one weekend. They are beautiful, and a whole different environment altogether.

thimscool said...

Salt marshes? Where abouts?

Taylor said...

N.C.! Where did I get the idea you were in Florida?

Morgan said...

thimscool, they're all up and down the coast. They are just beautiful, with smooth water, tall marsh grass and lots of wildlife. And they're estuaries for shrimp and shellfish. I'm trying to set up something soon.

Morgan said...

I dunno, Taylor. Florida is nice to visit, and Larry would love to move there. But our roots are here.

thimscool said...

My uncle-in-law has a place on the water just north of Beaufort.

I've been out on the water there a few times... it's beautiful at dusk.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some langhorne ski shop and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.