Monday, February 13, 2006

Jesus Loved The Way You Kicked Ass Down There

I read a very interesting take on the abortion wars today from a bright and outspoken Australian guy who recently captured my intellectual interest with his posts in another forum.

Even though JamieR is a Christian, he is of the opinion that the abortion war isn't God's war, but the war of those feverish to secure their own moral dominance in a world where morality is no longer be defined by one small set of self-professed True Believers.

It was an interesting argument, and any reasonable person could see that he won handily. I enjoyed watching him make his case against the fundamentalists whose heads spun wildly around at the mere suggestion that they aren't the Keepers of Moral Absolutes.

But it got me wondering: Why do Christians do this in the first place? Why do they insist on expending so much time and energy telling others they are going to Hell? In the end, what is achieved when everything comes down to faith anyway and none of us will really know the score until after we die?

I can't imagine what it would have been like if Jesus had acted like many of today's Christians.

Jesus: Blessed are the peacemakers, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

Follower: When you say peacemakers, would that include pacifists?

Jesus: Shut up, you idiot! What in My Name is your problem? I said peacemakers, didn't I? That means peacemakers. Don't go second-guessing my words. Take them as they are. Literally. What I say is absolute. Don't go twisting things to meet your liberal interpretation.

Follower: Sorry. I was just wondering...

Jesus: Well stop it. My followers arent' supposed to wonder. Or think.

Ludicrous, isn't it? But if Jesus behaved like today's Christians he would have been crucified not for our sins, but for being a jerk. And that wouldn't have done anyone any good.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe those ranting moralists will get to heaven, and when they do, maybe Jesus will say, "I am so proud of you. You never missed an opportunity to make other people feel morally inferior. Sure, you made other Christians look like complete assholes, but so what! Whenever someone expressed confusion or doubt, you mowed over them like a monster truck. None of that namby-pamby gentle witness for you, my child. No, you went for the jugular every time. Jesus loved the way you kicked ass down there. Welcome home."

Yeah, there's always a chance it could be that way. But I kind of doubt it.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I composed a track on some of my views. Can be found here, I don't think these comments allow links:

http://jamier.markjshaw.net/The-Kingdom.mp3

The problems within the church, the problems with the political abortion war... no humans can solve them because they're the ones who inflame them and cause all these ugly problems. I think we just need to step back and be giving to others and show love! As Arsenio Hall put it in Coming To America: "I love the Lord! Y'all hear me! I love the LORD, and if loving the Lord is wrong, I don't wanna be right."


"Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: For thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

-- Hebrews 13:1-2

Morgan said...

"Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: For thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

That's why I try to be extra entertaining.

"I think we just need to step back and be giving to others and show love!"

Love's become a casuality in the War on God. If I were Jesus, I'm not sure I'd really want to come back to this mess.

Jamie said...

Yeah but you yanks have always been crazy in a powerful enlightened crazy way.

I've said it somewhere else, America is the realisation of the power of the secular Roman Empire combined with the fundamentalist religious zeal of the Jews who opposed those Romans and went to war with them after Jesus died.

Sounds like fun!

Morgan said...

"Sounds like fun!"

I dunno, Jamie. Sounds more like spiritual schitzophrenia to me. It would be nice if people could just agree to disagree over religion.
No one knows for sure what the score's going to be. It's all speculation anyway. Seems like when it comes to religion, there's an awful lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Makes me wonder if we haven't landed in hell already and just don't realize it, kind of like that guy in the Sixth Sense who didn't realize he was dead until the very end of the movie.

Jemison Thorsby said...

As with most things, the problem is that human nature is to emphasize one aspect or another, versus getting all things in proper harmony and balance. Jesus himself said the way was narrow, and few would find it. We tend to veer from one extreme to the other. In the case of "fundamentalism" today, it's largely an overcorrection to those who would fail to take the scriptures at ANY literal value. There is a need to defend the authority of the scriptures within the issues they address, but there is no need to be abraisive in doing so. Jesus said the very message itself would be offensive to the world -- so the messenger doesn't need to make it more so. Peter said it best: always be ready to give an answer to those who ask you for the reason for the hope you have...but do this with gentleness and respect. Many are willing to do the first part, but very few within the context of the latter.